Are you looking for a healthy vegetable soup recipe? I thought I would share my homemade butternut squash and sweet potato soup recipe, as it is a household favorite.
I absolutely love the autumn and winter months, and there’s nothing better than having a warm meal on a cold day. So a creamy butternut squash soup goes down a treat in our house.
Although soup doesn’t sound very exciting or filling, we eat this soup as a main meal as it is quick, creamy, and quite filling. But we do have either crusty bread or sometimes the odd treat of croutons with it.
So I hope you enjoy this butternut squash and sweet potato soup recipe, but you can adapt or change it to your liking. A homemade vegetable soup can be easily adjusted to your own taste.
Easy sweet potato soup recipe benefits
My dad used to make soups when I was younger and I used to love them, so I wanted to adapt and make my own and combine the squash and sweet potato. This way our son gets a good portion of his 5 a day in an easy-to-eat meal.
He loves it now, and I have been making it since he was first weaning, as it has no lumps and is smooth and creamy. So it is a great healthy soup for babies and toddlers, in my opinion.
So the benefits of this soup are the fact that it is healthy, as you have vegetables in it.
You may be wanting to make a sweet potato soup as it has many vitamins and minerals, and is packed full of antioxidants.
And using butternut squash in a soup is great for your eyes, is a good source of fiber, and can help with blood pressure due to its potassium.
Roasted butternut squash soup ingredients & alternatives
This soup is so easy to make and doesn’t take up too much of your time. You can easily change it to suit your preferences. And I double up on ingredients if I want to make bigger portions.
The main ingredients are squash and sweet potato, but I also use carrots, onions, and garlic. You can absolutely chuck in more veggies, but it will change the overall taste. And this makes a nice creamy sweet tasting soup.
I use the Kallo organic vegetable stock cubes, and they are lower in salt than some other alternatives. You can use whatever stock you like, but this makes your suit soup vegetarian and vegan-friendly if only using vegetables.
I add greek yogurt just to make the soup more creamy and thick, and I love greek yogurt. But you don’t need to add it at all so again you can make this soup vegan friendly if you don’t use it.
There’s not much needed for this recipe. Just a chopping board, peeler, sharp knife, large pan, roasting tray, and blender/mixer.
Easy butternut squash and sweet potato soup recipe
So here is the recipe for my sweet potato and butternut squash soup. Hope you enjoy it.
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 50 mins
- Ready in: 1 hour 5 mins
- Servings: 4
- 1 x Large Butternut Squash
- 4 x Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 2 x Large Carrots
- 1 x Medium Onion
- 2 x Garlic Cloves
- 2 x tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 x Pint Vegetable Stock
- 1 x Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 x tbsp Greek Yoghurt
How to make
1. Peel and core the butternut squash.
2. Chop it into 2-3cm chunks.
3. Then peel the sweet potatoes and carrots and again cut them into 2-3cm chunks.
4. Peel your onion and chop it in half, then peel the garlic cloves and chop the ends off.
5. Chuck all of the veggies into a large roasting tin and drizzle over the olive oil.
6. Roast the vegetables in the oven for around 30-40 mins (basically until soft and cooked through).
7. Put all of the ingredients into a large saucepan and add your veggie stock.
8. Use a handheld blender to blend everything together (alternatively you can chuck everything into a mixer).
9. Once everything is blended add the salt and pepper (just season to your taste).
10. Add the greek yogurt if you want to add it, and then make sure it is mixed in.
11. Place the pan on your hob and put it on high heat to bring the soup to a boil.
12. Once you see bubbles turn it down to medium heat and simmer for around 5 mins.
Your butternut squash and sweet potato soup is now ready to share out in bowls, and serve it with crusty bread or tiger bread for the best taste!
That’s how easy it is to make simple butternut squash and sweet potato soup. It has great flavor and taste and is a favorite in our house!
Who says you need loads of ingredients to make a tasty veggie soup?